Really low speed on 5.0 band

dckmusic
Grasshopper

I have something very strange.  My son just got a brand new laptop (a very good one) and when connected to 5GHz, he's only getting less than 1mbps on the speed test.  Brutally slow, obviously.  On the 2.4 band, he's getting around 50.  My daughter has a 6 month old laptop and she is getting 134.9 on the 5.0 band.  This is sitting side by side.  My son moved down to sit next to the router and still got the same speeds.  While yes, he can go to 2.4 and be fine, it is something I would prefer to solve.  Obviously it must have something to do with his machine, but I can't imagine what.  The drivers are up-to-date and it does work fine on 2.4.  Thoughts?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Really low speed on 5.0 band

shaw-tony

Hey dckmusic,

Thanks for reaching out! If you are seeing good speeds on other devices then it may be an issue with the network card or settings on your son's laptop. Are you able to run a speed test on another 5 Ghz WiFi connection to rule out any issues with the laptop?

What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far with the modem?

Cheers,

Tony | Community Mod.

0 Kudos

dckmusic
Grasshopper

Thanks for the reply.  As I said in the original message, my daughter's laptop had a speed of 134.9 on the 5 band, so it appears to be an issue with the 5 band on this laptop only.  The things we've done so far:

1. Rebooted the computer.  No change.

2. Disabled and re-enabled the network adapter.  No change.

3. Tried different wireless modes settings in the network adapter.  No change.

4. Tried updating the network adapter's driver, there was no newer driver.  No change.

I don't know enough about the Shaw router (including how I actually look at the settings) to see if there are different channels I can try or what.  It is just very strange that a brand new computer would have this issue.  Hoping I don't have to send it back to Asus.

0 Kudos

shaw-tony

dckmusic thank you for the details. Let's try some steps that may help. Can you reboot the modem by unplugging it for one minute? Do you have any 3rd party switches/routers connected to the modem?

To access the Hitron modem, you can follow the steps here to update the WiFi channel.

It may also be a browser issue, please run a speed test on a Google Chrome browser in incognito mode and disable any Chrome add-ons.

0 Kudos
TALK TO US
We're here to help